Steps to Receiving the ABGOV™ Certification
1) Meet the eligibility requirements
These requirements must be met in order to apply for the ABGOV™ program:
- Must have two (2) years governmental experience (to be evaluated by the Board via a scoring matrix process)
- Depending on your experience score and forensic accounting academic background, forensic accounting training may be required (see Forensic Accounting Review under Programs/Courses)
- Must be in compliance with all local ordinances, state laws, and federal regulations
- No felony convictions
2) Apply to the program (application at the bottom of this page)
Submit the application, fees, and required supporting documentation, including the following:
- Current resume/curriculum vitae
- Substantiation of governmental experience
- Other licenses, certifications, certificates, and/or commissions
- At least two (2) professional references
The following specializations are currently available:
- Internal Audit
- Law Enforcement
The exam fee for ABGOV™ certification is $585.
3) Prepare for the exam
Once you have been approved, you can begin preparing for the exam. We require that you purchase and study Forensic and Investigative Accounting, Seventh Edition by Crumbley, Heitger, and Smith. You can purchase the textbook at Amazon or other retailers. This textbook is full of useful information for your review process.
The exam covers the same material as the Certified Forensic Accountant exam plus, if you decide to choose a specialty, there will be an additional test section focusing on the specialty of your choice. More detailed information about the Certified Forensic Accountant exam can be found here.
4) Sit for the exam
After successful completion of the exam, you will receive the ABGOV™ credential from ABFA. Your credential will be mailed to you within 4-6 weeks of completion of the exam.