The ABGOV® is a special credential the American Board of Forensic Accounting® has established for Governmental accountants and auditors who demonstrate knowledge and competence in professional forensic accounting services in the Government sector. For example, these sectors include:
• Law Enforcement
• Inspector General Offices
• Internal Auditors
• Healthcare Auditors
• Defense Contract Audit Agency
• Office of Management and Budget
These are in addition to all the other accountants and auditors that serve our country in government, civilian, and military occupations.
Through our testing, analysis, and evaluation of the knowledge, skills, and abilities of applicants, we will be able to provide certification and re-certification of applicants in the field of forensic document examination.
Steps to Receiving the ABGOV® Certification
These requirements must be met in order to apply for the ABGOV® program:
- Must have two (2) years governmental experience, to be evaluated by the Board
- Complete the scoring matrix process to determine if the program meets your career development and educational needs
- Must be in compliance with all local ordinances, state laws, and federal regulations
- No felony convictions
Submit the required supporting documentation via the online application link below, including the following:
- Current resume/curriculum vitae
- Substantiation of governmental experience
- Other licenses, certifications, certificates, and/or commissions
- At least two (2) professional references
Once your application has been approved, you will need to join the ABFA as a general member and take the Forensic Accounting Review course. At that time, you may also begin preparing for the exam. The ABGOV® exam covers the same core material as the Certified Forensic Accountant exam. More detailed information about the Certified Forensic Accountant exam can be found here.
After successful completion of the exam and being in good standing with the Board, you will receive the ABGOV® credential from the American Board of Forensic Accounting®. Your credential will be mailed to you within 2-3 weeks of completion of the exam.